Monday, December 12, 2011

One of those days...

This morning I was really missing home…  After a much needed pep talk over skype and a couple really good emails, I realized that this year in Bali is about way more than just me. It is about all of the people that I will touch or make an impact on along the way. I’m saying all of this in the most humble of ways, no ego involved, I promise. Much like the story that makes up It’s a Wonderful Life, I have no way of telling who I will make an impact on, how I will make that impact and whether or not it will be big or small. When I have days like today that start out a little on the rough side, I'll think of the bigger picture and who might miss out on everything that I have to offer. I’m planning on going with whatever gets thrown my way...
Speaking of going with whatever gets thrown my way, I had my first wipe out on my scooter yesterday! I was trying to turn around in a tight area that was sandy and wet, I hit the throttle a little too hard and the bike slipped out from under me. Two Balinese men came over and helped me lift the bike up and then get it started again since it had fallen on the engine side and wouldn’t start. After what seemed like an interesting conversation between the two men and me, a conversation in which I just smiled a lot and said "thank you" in Indonesian numerous times, I was on my way. Needless to say, I have a few battle wounds and I’m a little sore from the spill. Fun times!
And to keep you up to date on the simple and most interesting things… I bought a few items from the supermarket the other day. Laundry detergent (which may or may not be rat poison, I’ll find out when I get my clothes back from the housekeeper), the Indonesian version of Gatorade (not so much like the American version), some sort of red fruit (haven’t got the slightest idea what it is yet) and hangers (luckily those look the same hear as they do in America). It was an interesting adventure to say the least. Again, fun times! 

1 comment:

  1. Nomatter where you are, not everyday is gonna be sunshine and lollipops. Keep in mind the reason you decided to make this leap in the first place! Be strong and keep your chin up!! Xoxo!

    ReplyDelete