Wednesday, December 28, 2011

Christmas Bali Style...

To keep me from missing home too much and to keep things fun and light, I was sent on a "12 days of Christmas" scavenger hunt. As I am sure most of you know, Christmas is not observed as a major holiday here in Bali. However, as the island becomes more westernized with all of the ex patriots now residing here, Christmas has become a little more well known.

So, before I share about my scavenger hunt adventures, here is a blip about how I spent my Christmas... As I wrote in my last post, I went to the north part of Bali. I stayed at a Sanctuary/Hotel, much more of a sanctuary than a hotel. Other than myself, there were 3 other guests. There are only 5 rooms available to stay in, hence more of a sanctuary. It is more along the lines of being invited into the owner's home and she does in fact live there. We had a formal dinner on Christmas Eve and all of the staff were invited to join us. After dinner, we sat around while Tom, one of the other guests and Ketut, a staff member played an African drum and the guitar. Tom taught us a few traditional African dances and Ketut sang American music and Christmas songs even though he is only just beginning to learn English. Although I was missing home and being with my family and having to fight back a few tears, it was a Christmas that I will never forget. I fully enjoyed the simpleness of the whole night as well as the people that I spent it with.


No comments:

Post a Comment