Tuesday, December 6, 2011

Cold Showers and other fun adventures...

I started my first day of work yesterday. I observed a couple of classes, one with 6 to 9 year olds and the other with teenagers and up. As usual, the little ones were the most fun to watch, they just have a totally different way of being and learning than the older ones do. That’s not to say that the older age group are any less willing to learn, it’s just different. I will actually be teaching my first class today. I’ll have the 6 to 9 year olds, so I am looking forward to that!

Yesterday, in the younger class, a little girl came up to me and got just about as close as she could get to me with out actually touching and said “Excuse me Ms. Can I use the toilet?” Of course, with her little accent, I had absolutely no idea what she had said the first time around so I asked her to repeat herself. It was the cutest thing ever... I’m looking forward to more of those particularly simple and innocent moments that totally catch me off guard and have me smile ear to ear!

To keep you all up to date on everything else... I haven't taken a hot shower in over a week now, the streets of Bali all still look exactly the same to me, I now have two restaurants instead of one that I frequent, Roosters crow at all hours of the day not just at the break of dawn and I have found myself replacing certain words in my vocabulary so people understand what I'm talking about. Here are a few examples: Holiday instead of Vacation, Toilet instead of Restroom, AirCon instead of A/C, Helm instead of Helmet and the list goes on...

1 comment:

  1. HAHA, oh the joys of teaching! Chels, there are many more moments like this to be had, and unlike myself sometimes, I know you won't take them for granted! They are so lucky to have a kind soul to introduce them to the world! :))

    Have you found your permanent place of residence yet my love? you know, your bungalow? hehe. Man, I wish I could see pictures of all that you are experiencing. Keep up the blogs, I anxiously await them! All my hugs and blessings! Talk soon!

    ReplyDelete